Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

So F***ing Canadian

Most Canadian stereotypes are completely unfounded. I don't say aboot, I don't live in an igloo, I don't ride a polar bear, I'm not friends with any meese and I don't produce maple syrup when it's that time of the month. I don't even have a lot of friends who play hockey.

But I did skate to school today.

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

No word of a lie. It's almost 5km from my house to the University of Ottawa, and now that the UNESCO World Heritage Site Rideau Canal is almost completely open, I can skate about 4 of those clicks (which is especially handy given the current transit strike in Ottawa, which has been going on for almost a month now). Lacing up my skates this morning in the -15 degree cold was probably the most Canadian I've ever felt - the only possible exception being when my dad and I did Bob and Doug McKenzie for our family's Christmas talent show when I was 2. (Those of you on facebook may remember my former profile pic from the occasion, featuring a tiny version of me drinking out of a stubby.)

For those who have never skated on the Rideau Canal before, there's a tradition you should be aware of: Beaver Tails, which are basically fried dough with toppings. Today I had my first Beaver Tail of the winter, which is really the only way to kick off an Ottawa winter. I had the most basic type: cinnamon and sugar. It tastes like a more delicious version of cinnamon toast. Within a couple of months, I plan to try all the different flavours of Beaver Tails, as well as the other food the canal has to offer, and write my own review of canal food. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment