Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Bizarre Dream

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

Oops! I wrote this yesterday, but forgot to post it because I was hoping other parts of the dream would come to me throughout the day. They didn't.

Last night I slept fitfully, because putting pressure on my giant ears was painful. Perhaps it was the sporadic nature of my sleep that led to one of the weirdest dreams I've ever had. Unfortunately, I didn't think of turning it into a blog as soon as I woke up, but I think I can re-construct a relatively complete version.

I remember being at a hotel, not one I've been to before, but a pretty nice hotel that may or may not have had a view of a fancy Cancun-like strip. I say may or may not because even though I remember the view, I think the hotel morphed later in the dream into something closer to the low-key 12ish room place in Tulum my family stayed at for most of our Mexican voyage over Christmas.

Fast forward to the main event. The hotel was operated by a middle-aged woman, not unlike the one who operated the hotel my family stayed at in Tulum, Mexico. Only this woman was a murderer, as witnessed by me. I saw her kill another woman of similar age and then dispose of the body. 

Then it got weird, because I turned into the woman, and repeated what had just happened with someone else.

Shortly thereafter, I transformed back into myself. At this point, I suddenly became aware that the winner of the World Beer Pong Championship was staying at the hotel and would become the landlady's next victim. This part throws a wrench into my assumption that the dream took place in Mexico, because the WBPC was recently held in Las Vegas, which works with my original vision of a fancy hotel strip. 

Anyway, I remember that the beer pong champion was a middle-aged Canadian guy from the west coast, and I even remembered his name when I woke up, though I forget now. Apparently, I also knew what he looked like, and quickly found him snorkeling. For some reason, I think he was actually snorkeling inside the hotel, in some sort of basement-lagoon. I believe this basement-lagoon was part of the hotelkiller's body disposal scheme. Anyway, it took a few minutes to convince him that he was in grave danger, but eventually I managed, and we were on our way. We tried to stroll casually out of the hotel, walking right by the manager, but something on my face betrayed the fact that I knew she was the killer. We started running, got past the front gate, and thought we were home-free.

And then Mickey Rourke's character from The Wrestler, apparently a hotel henchman, came charging out and tackled my beer-pong companion. This is where the dream ended.

You know how dreams are often based on the last thing you were thinking about before falling asleep, or at least something you've been thinking about recently? Well, this dream was no exception, but it was unique in that it combined several recent thoughts:
  • watching The Wrestler a couple of weeks ago
  • going to Mexico over the Christmas holidays with my family
  • reading an article on competitive beer pong yesterday
Other random memories from the dream:
  • For some reason, one of my sister's friends was there too (along with my sister). 
  • I remember specifically that the beer pong champion was the "singles" champion. This is not actually a category at the WBPC; teams are always 2 people. Also, most of the competitors in the actual competition were in their 20s, whereas this guy was closer to 40 or 50.
  • I think the basement lagoon/body disposal room was also a communal shower room, the kind you'd find at a rec center. What a strange room. I wonder how the snorkeling was. This is likely a result of the fact that I showered in a place like this 2 days ago after a squash game.
  • I believe the first part of the dream may have involved my sister and her friend and I hanging out in our hotel room, but I can't exactly picture this.
  • Part of the dream was also set in Canada, as I remember some cold weather.
  • I clearly remember that the hotel had a locked front gate which was operated by a woman of about 30. When she saw beer pong guy and I running, she smiled and opened it quickly, realizing we were in a hurry. Luckily for us, she hadn't got the message from the front desk that we were wanted, or she wouldn't have opened the gate.
So, have you had a stranger dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment