Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Taganga Episode III: Wildlife

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

This week is "Taganga Week" at Xave's Xlog. Check it out:
Taganga Episode II: The Town

I took lots of pictures of animals this weekend. Animals are cool! Check them out.


This was the view from my hostel balcony to the next yard over. Not pictured: a lot more goats and one extremely loud donkey.

On Saturday, I spent a few hours hiking in the hills surrounding Taganga. This was not something I was supposed to be doing, I think, given the lack of trails. Not that anyone cared. It was probably less against the rules and more why would anyone do that because there's a national park with hiking trails right beside Taganga you idiot xave.

"Long day? Take a load off. What'll it be?"

On my hike, I ran into a lot of these little dudes. I didn't get a great shot of this guy's underbelly, but it was bright yellowy green (you can kind of see it in the next shot). Some of them also had shockingly blue tails and faces, but I didn't manage to get a good picture.

Here's a picture of a really weird bee-like thing.

And his butt.

"Hey George, one of those giant things is here! 
Better show it the traditional peace offering!"

Near the end of my hike, I heard a high-pitched scream recurring every 10 seconds or so. Whatever was happening to this thing sounded really painful. It sounded like what would have happened if Nick Jonas had entered my classroom today (today is Nick Jonas' birthday, as I recently found out).

Eventually I spotted what was making the noise. I guess I can't blame for screaming, since it was standing on a cactus. Then when I got close enough to take a picture, it flew away... and stood on another cactus. Stupid bird.

Crab Series #1: Camouflagey

After my hike I went for a swim some 2 or 3 coves over from Taganga, which is where I had naturally ended up. I walked home through the shallows along the coast, and in one little cavey area I saw some crabs. They were really hard to capture, not because they kept running away, but because they were so camouflagey when I looked away to look through the camera I kept losing them.


On Sunday, I spent the day with a few people from my hostel on a day trip run by Santiago, the hostel owner. At the end of the day, we popped over to one of the camping areas of Tayrona Park to drop off 3 of the people who had come on the trip, as they were staying overnight in the park. We spent 30 or 40 minutes relaxing on the beach before heading back to Taganga, and I found some more animals, including the birds above.

 Crab Series #2: Blue
Crab Series #3: Red

Here are some more birds.

"Robert, we need to talk about our relationship. 
Robert! Robert, look at me."
Some other wildlife I saw but didn't manage to capture cameraly:
  • a literally neon yellow butterfly
  • many fish while snorkeling, including one that might have been an eel and one that might have been a republican
  • a bigfoot (I swear!)
  • a crazy guy who kept growling and then pinched K's butt

No comments:

Post a Comment