Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Me Being An Idiot #4: The Dumpster

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

*Love reading about me being an idiot? Check out parts one, two and three!*

On Saturday night, I went out with some friends. It was a pretty regular night out: we went to a pub, drank some beer, had some laughs, watched a bit of hockey, you know, the usual. I had a bit more to drink than I usually do during a night out, but not so much that parts of the night no longer exist. We'll say I was about one standard deviation drunker than the average night on the town.

I didn't do anything particularly idiotic at the bar (I don't think). No, it was on the walk home that whatever organ controls idiocy took over. Since I don't have an iPod, I'm often bored when walking places, so I'll try to entertain myself somehow... sometimes I'll sing, or try to estimate how many steps it'll take to walk from point A to point B, or explain things I'm knowledgeable about to my invisible companions. 

When I'm drunk, these games get a little more... well, idiotic. 

Case in point: Saturday night, my game was to see how many steps I could take without opening my eyes. I was on a quiet street and it was late at night, so there wasn't a risk of getting run over, so I didn't think much harm could come. The first time I got 20 steps or so. Second time, maybe 25. The third time, I got up to 83 (!) steps without opening my eyes. I had to stop though, because I walked into a parked car (don't worry, neither of us got hurt). Now, you'd think I'd stop there.

Of course not. By walking into the car, I noticed that I had a tendency to go slightly left, and I was determined to fix this. So I went for it once again, and tried to turn right a little more than what felt natural. Seemed like everything was going smoothly, until BAM! I opened my eyes and realized I had just walked into a dumpster. And this was no small feat; the dumpster was off the road to the side. Somehow I had managed a complete 90 degree turn in 30 steps. Talk about overcompensating.

Anyway, now I have a big mark on the bridge of my nose. Perhaps it'll stick around for a while and I'll be able to refer to it as my Dumpscar. Here's a super-creepy photo of it for your perusal.

No comments:

Post a Comment