Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Post-Transit Strike Aftermath

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

So I was walking home from a training session at my new job (math tutoring) today, and noticed a bus going in my direction. Since the buses are free for a week following the transit strike I hopped on, despite the fact that I didn't know the bus' route. Shortly, two things happened. I noticed that I was the only passenger on the bus, and the bus made two left turns, ending up going in the direction I didn't want to go. 

So I rang the bell, got up, and waited by the exit for the next stop. At this point, the driver yelled something to me. I couldn't hear him, but my first thought was that he had figured out I had no idea what the route of the bus was (since I had been on for about 1 1/2 minutes) and wanted to let me know that the next stop wasn't for like 6 blocks. I ambled up to the front, at which point he asked me if I knew where the next stop was, which seemed to confirm my assessment of the situation. I said no, expecting him to tell me. Instead, he intimated that it was his first time driving this route, and had no idea where he was going. Unfortunately, I couldn't help him (later, it occurred that I should have "mistakenly" directed him to my house), but before I got off at the next stop, we shared a moment of wistful transit bewilderment.

1 comment:

  1. this is a pretty good one. who doesn't a love a good city transit story.

    ReplyDelete