Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Math Comics 1 - Who is My Value

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

This week is exam week at school, and being the last exam week of the year, we won't be learning any new material. So in class today, I had my students make Math Comics. I scanned them because they're totally awesome. Here's the first, along with transcript.

I should note that my example comic on the board involved the number 3 looking for love, so of course all the kids copied my idea and made their comic about numbers (or symbols) as sentient beings.



Transcript:

Title: Who Is My Value??
Panel 1: X (sad): "I want to find a value"
Panel 2: X: "Hi two! are you my value"
2: "No, Im' not. I can help you find one"
Panel 3: (numbers are scattered everywhere) X: "The aren't may value"
2: "let's go to other place"
Panel 4: ONE YEAR LATER
X: "I am tired"
2: "me too"
Panel 5: X: "Nobody's my value"
2: "let's take he last look"
Panel 6: (equation appears: x/4=1/2)
X: "I found were to be"
2: "oh yes it is in the operation"
Panel 7: (equation is solved: 2x=4, x=2)
Panel 8: X: "Solving that equation you will be my value"
2: "what?!? every time looking and I was your value!"

Commentary: we start with one of the best. A great story that is funny and clever and touching and has a well-defined arc. Also, this may come as a surprise, but the level of English is pretty high here. It's all about context - just wait for some of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment