Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Brother Playlist

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.


There are so many things I want to blog about, but it just isn't happening right now what with exams starting tomorrow - meaning I have to catch up on all the marking before spending all next week marking my own exams and finalizing everything. But here's a quick entry to tide y'all over.

Sometimes I want to listen to a certain song from my iTunes playlist, and the fastest way to access it is to enter the name of the song, or part of the name, into the search function. In some cases, the name of the song is unique enough that it immediately becomes the only result in the open window. Other times, it's the opposite; so common that I'm left with a multitude of results, often including entire albums, necessitating a further paring-down.

But on rare occasions, whatever word I've entered has just the right balance such that it creates a playlist that I never would have created on my own, and I end up listening to the whole playlist, rather than the specific song I was searching for.

There have been times when I've been aware of this phenomenon and specifically tried certain words, but in most cases it's completely accidental, and I really love it. It's one of those little joys in life.

Anyway, tonight I searched for a song with the word "brother" in the title, and was given this playlist:

The Allman Brothers - Jessica
Animal Collective - Brothersport
The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
Grizzly Bear - Little Brother
Marvin Gaye - What's Happening Brother
The Statler Brothers - Flowers on the Wall (from Pulp Fiction soundtrack)
Stevie Wonder - Big Brother
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - For the Sake of Our Brother

Clearly I only have one song in my library by each of the three groups that include "brother" in their name, otherwise this playlist would have been much less fun.

I'll try to post these whenever I come across a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment