Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Peruvacation: The Preface

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

Hey guys! Long time no see! I got back from my 3-week vacation in Peru on Friday, and I've been pretty busy since then with school starting again, and buying/assembling a desk (which took about 3 times longer than the equivalent Ikea desk would have), not having any way to get cash (coming soon to a blog entry near you), almost flooding my apartment, seeing Avatar, etc, etc....

Anyway, we're gonna start with some bad news. I forgot my trip journal, which I had been about 75% faithful about keeping, at the LAST hotel I stayed at. Now, of course I remember all the stuff I did, but telling you about my life straight up has never really been what this Xlog is about. It's about finding the tiniest, boringest details, and making stories out of them, and it's been about taking the big, obvious stuff and approaching them in a different way than most would, because, for example, I could never satisfactorily describe my experience visiting Machu Picchu to you guys, so some would say what's the point of even writing about it, but I want to write about it, so I try to find a different way to tackle the topic.

(By the way, I admire Ian's take on writing about Christmas vacation - and Ian's blog is my favourite friend-written travel blog, so go check it out now - and I thought about going his way and just posting a few pics and mostly keeping stuff to myself, but you know what? That's just not me. My long-windedness is a result of that affinity for searching for narratives in the obscure, and looking at events through weird-coloured glasses. Or, more directly, I just like to write.)

Right, but as I was saying, I lost the journal, which sucks, because there was some writing in there I was really happy with. On the other hand, the simple act of writing stuff down serves as a memory reinforcement technique; it's not like that stuff is totally lost, and I remember it better now for having recorded it.

Also, I had been writing my journal in a completely sporadic, out-of-order way, and I really wasn't sure how I would schedule the blog postings, but now that problem is solved. So there's that.

Anyway, there's your preface! Over the next few weeks I'll be posting pictures and telling stories about my time in Peru - I'll try to update daily to give a bit of a feel for the ebb and flow of the trip. I hope to whip off the first one tonight, so stay tuned.

(P.S. Avatar was great. Make sure you see it at the theater while it's still there. Oh and who knew 3-D glasses weren't 1 red and 1 blue and made of paper anymore??!)

No comments:

Post a Comment