Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Watching the World Series

Note - this blog is automatically imported into facebook, but unfortunately it loses some formatting in the process. Click here to visit the real thing.

So, yeah, I know, I haven't posted anything in about 2 weeks. It's not that I haven't written anything - I've started several posts only to get stuck about halfway through. I think maybe I'll start posting shorter entries to keep myself motivated, since 2 or 3 paragraph snippets are much easier to whip off in a few minutes. I'm sure you guys won't mind losing some of my long-windedness.

Anyway, something that occurred to me as I'm sitting here watching the World Series: there are many ways to follow a baseball game. You can watch on TV, listen on the radio, or follow on the Internet by following someone's live-blog, or using one of the real-time graphical interfaces like the one on mlb.com. You can combine media to make it more complicated, too - personally, I've watched the game on TV, muted the sound, and turned on the radio, since the Blue Jays' radio broadcasters are great. I've also listened to radio broadcasts over the web while loading up one of the real-time GUIs to get a bit of a visual. Here's another one: I've followed games by constantly texting friends who were watching the games. (it's also possible to text a service that sends you an automated update.) The possibilities are endless.

But I think I've hit upon a new one. I'm following the World Series in a way that baseball might never have been followed before. Here's how it works: I'm watching on TV, but the broadcast is in Spanish, so in order to get some analysis, I'm constantly checking Twitter for updates from the 4 or 5 baseball writers I follow who are tweeting about the game. I call it: "twatching". No, never mind, that's not what I call it, that's terrible, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment